8.3.12

Thomas Tallis - Inspiration

Commissioned pen and ink portrait of Thomas Tallis, great English Renaissance composer of Catholic and Anglican religious music. I wanted to express a moment of inspiration, that moment when you're subcreating something and suddenly the thing that works comes to you like grace. And, the idea of expressing that was what came to me like that as I worked on this piece.

As he did live, so also did he die,
In mild and quiet sort (O happy man!)
To God full oft for mercy did he cry,
Wherefore he lives, let death do what he can.


~effigy of Thomas Tallis

1 comment:

Emily Starr said...

This is a beautiful likeness! Congratulations on a job well done! I am a sacred music major, and British Renaissance music is one of my favorite genres of music! British music in general has a particular magic about it -- or perhaps its grace?