21.3.08

Good Friday


Last year I thought I would observe Lent by working on a crucifixion scene. It didn't seem to be working out the way I wanted it to so I put it on the shelf for a while with other projects that were "on hold." Well this year, again, I wanted to direct my Lenten fast through my art and started by looking at these suspended projects. This is the result.
Jesus as the fruit of the Tree of Life. "...lest perhaps he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever." Genesis 3:22. I have incorporated some elements from iconography such as the sun and the moon, recalling the passages from scripture. "The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood: before the great and dreadful day of the Lord doth come." Joel 2:31 and Acts 2:20. The skull at the feet of Christ represents the tradition that Golgotha, the Place of the Skull, was the location of Adam's tomb. His skull and bones were uncovered during the earthquake that followed the crucifixion of the new Adam.

1 comment:

Margaret E. Perry said...

i think it's really wonderful. striking. I love the sun and the moon too. thanks for posting it!